Emmerich Manual High School was established at 525 S. Meridian Street in Indianapolis in 1891. The high school’s teachers combined traditional curricula, like mathematics and science, with courses in “manual skills,” such as mechanics, drafting and home nursing, and later, technology. Originally known as The Industrial Trading School, it gained national attention for bridging the gap between high school education and job readiness.
Even though it’s been more than a century since the school was built, much of the building’s original architecture, including the gymnasium, courtyard and bell towers, are still intact at the building now known as Union 525; however, a different technology school is in the building. Today, the students of Purdue Polytechnic High School are the 21st-century kids on the block.
The goal of Purdue Polytechnic High School is to prepare students to one day continue their education at Purdue University, in the Polytechnic Institute or in other programs, or for immediate success in the workplace.
Read the original stories: